In article <Pine.LNX.4.63.0507140919460.29274 / parore.tait.co.nz>,
John Carter  <john.carter / tait.co.nz> wrote:
>These are exciting days in the world of C++. Every month the C/C++ User
>Journal is packed with exciting articles on brilliant innovations in the
>areas of...
>   * Standards advancement
>        Hashes WhooHoo! Regexes! At last!
>   * Template metaprogramming
>   * New template libraries.
>   * Even Duck Typing!
>
>And I read it all and just feel vaguely nauseated.
>
>C++ is just so hard compared to Ruby. So fragile, so stiff, so
>error-prone with incredibly subtle gotchas on every corner.
>
>It pains me now to even look at C++, even though for many years it was my
>language of choice.
>
>Ruby advocacy is not merely sharing the pleasure, it's important for
>avoiding the pain of being forced financially back into writing C/C++...

C++ can be painful, but as you say things are changing in C++ land.  There
are some nice developments going on, especially with Boost.

I have to use C++ for some things (Ruby on it's own just isn't fast enough
yet) but I do find that the two (Ruby and C++) complement each other
rather nicely (especially usign Swig or by embedding ruby into a C++ app).

Phil