On 7/12/05, Jonas Galvez <jonasgalvez / gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Python script running as daemon. I need a way to have a Ruby
> script send a message to it and read a response. I've been reading
> about pipes and fifo but it's all very confusing.
>
> Just thought I'd ask before trying anything: what's the safest and
> easiest way to accomplish this in Ruby?

The simplest (not necessarily the best, that would on your
application's exact requirements, of which you've given us few
details), I think, would be to use XML-RPC. There are mature and
well-tested XML-RPC libraries for both Ruby and Python (for Python, I
believe it's integrated into the language's standard libraries
already). Set your Python script to be an XML-RPC server, and Ruby to
be your XML-RPC client and off you go. This ought to work even if your
Ruby and Python scripts are running on different computers, but it's a
fairly heavyweight approach.