Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
> I think you guys are having the same problem with windows and zone
> alarm that some people were having on the rails list. Zone alarm
> keeps ruby from working with sockets correctly. The only way they
> fixed this was by uninstalling zone alarm. Just turning it off didn't
> work but uninstalling it let ruby have its sockets back.
>
> -Ezra

Thanks for the tip, Ezra.

This Jeff Nadeau blog entry is very interesting:
http://www.jfnadeau.com/node/13
Describes the Ruby under Windows problem !!    (Thanks, Jeff)

Anyone clued enough to contact him ?

Others with the problem:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=access&message.id=20205
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/146253

Ken,

I'm using ZA 2.6.362 (went back to an old version for a different
reason a while back) on 98se and it's OK.

Which Windows and ZA do you have ?

daz