I have not been following this thread closely so excuse me if I
repeat advice from others. Since you are running windows and it looks
like your are trying to access a raw socket maybe you have some kind
of security setting that prevents raw socket access? I seem to recall
some security update/recommended patch/tweak that prevented raw
socket access from arbitrary programs.

On Jul 9, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Ken Kaplan wrote:

> daz,
>
> Thank you for your help, kind sir.
>
> daz wrote:
>
>> You *closed* ZA ?  (Not recommended ever, while online, BTW)
>>

> Yes, it was painful to turn it off, but I'm getting desperate.
>
> daz wrote:
>
>> Try running this modified version of your script and
>> report which trace line number you reach.
>>

> I reach line 272. Unfortunately, except for the file names we
> picked, my
> trace file (http://factoad.com/ruby/pptrace_x.txt) is identical to
> yours
> (http://factoad.com/ruby/pptrace.txt) up to line 0272, where mine
> hangs and
> yours continues. (Here's the diff file:
> http://factoad.com/ruby/tracediff.txt. Here's the script:
> http://factoad.com/ruby/io_test_trace.rb ).
>
> It hangs when writing the get request string to a TCPsocket object.
>
> Does anyone know why this might fail without raising an exception? Any
> suggestions appreciated...
>

> Ken
>

> ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]
> thread started with this email: http://factoad.com/ruby/email.txt