Regarding Narray, it seems kind of cool, but lacking in real
mathematical sophistication.  I think it would be better to extend
rb-gsl to make composing matrices easier and thus keep the excellent
linear algebra facilities.  Really, I think Narray and rb-gsl have a
lot of redundancy and I really don't like bouncing between the two of
them.

Regarding graphics, matplotlib for python rocks, I wonder if it can be
ported....

The basics are all around, the problem is designing an intuitive one
stop shop that is really usable.  Being able to hack something out of
gnuplot is not the same as having a well put together
framework/library....