My posting is not about whether a lower or higher version number is a
indication of a product's true robustness, useability, or performance.
It is that if you label your product as alpha version 0.1, no matter
how good it is, it is an uphill battle for anyone to have it approved
by decision makers to be part of its set of corporate tools. It is
perceived to be far, far from finished.

<<
if i were competing in the web development arena i'd be quite
happy to let them keep working in their antiquated environments - it'd
be that
much more work for me ;-)

This view is very likely not shared by Ruby/Rails tool makers and book
writers. And, in any case, I have a feeling that it'd be for their and
the Ruby community's benefit if they fall for the lure of the lustre of
a red jewel than them falling into a nest of snakes.

gk