On 7/5/05, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:

> On 04 Jul 2005, at 15:22, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> >
> > One nice thing about ruby is that the programmer does not have
> > to worry about supported-ranges for integer values.  Ruby just
> > switches from "fixnum" objects into "bignum" objects, without
> > any attention from the programmer.  It seems to me that the C
> > code that is listed above just assumes the multiplication of
> > 'f * x' will not overflow.  Is that the case?
>
> You are correct.
>
> We could add the ability to automatically add the bignum/fixnum
> auto-conversion stuff, but we've not needed the capability yet.

It would be nice to at least detect that an overflow occurred, even
if you don't do the auto-conversion stuff.  I do use ruby in some
situations simply because I don't want to have to think if I'm going
to be overflowing any fields that I'm collecting statistics into.

I do think the Ruby2C project could be quite useful, but I wouldn't
want to lose some of the more attractive characteristics of ruby
when taking advantage of it!  :-)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =             drosihn / gmail.com
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad / FreeBSD.org