Hello Aredridel,

A> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 23:18 +0900, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>> Lothar Scholz <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> writes:
>>
>> > i don't have a problem with writing "require 'rubygems'" on the first
>> > line. I wouldn't add a rescue clause as i think it's a valid option to
>> > force a user to have rubygems installed as some of the requirements of
>> > your library.
>>
>> If you decide to go this way, please make sure you also publish your
>> software as a gem only, so they won't even have the slightest chance
>> to have a look at the code and determine whether it would be
>> reasonable to dig it out.

A> Heartily, heartily seconded. That way, if someone who works on a linux
A> distro like Fedora, PLD or Debian should want to package software that
A> uses your library, or to package your library, so that it "Just works"
A> for their users, they'll give up. That way nobody accidentally makes it
A> easy to install.

A> </snark>

A> Seriously, gems are really hard to package into an RPM. Really, really
A> hard. I end up un-packing them as tarballs, then patching them out to
A> remove the require_gem lines, require 'rubygems', and then correcting
A> the assumptions about the location of data files.

Sorry where is the problem ?

You just need to untar files into different places in the local gems
repository. As all data is in independent files under
"C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems" (on windows, don't now the
corresponding linux path) there is no problem to extract gems.

But RubyGems is a packaging and distribution framework. So it works
independent of RPM and this is a good thing. So please don't
distribute ruby gems with your Linux distribution, this sucks. If you
want to do this then offer a package and initial configuration that sets
up a local repository from there "gem install rails" fetches its gem
file.