Hi --

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Aredridel wrote:

> And before you say "... just use gems", let me point out something:
>
> To run, say, Rails, with gems:
>
>  1) manually install ruby
>  2) manually install rubygems
>  3) gem install rails
>
> To install rails under the distro I work on:
>
>  1) poldek -i rails

Well, that's a little misleading, since the first two steps for gems
are one-time setup steps.  For your poldek scenario, we could say:

   1) Format hard drive
   2) Burn or buy CD with distro on it
   3) Install distro

etc., and that would make installing Rails seems like a much more
monumental task.  In any case, it wouldn't be hard to write an
installation script that took account of gems.

Also, keep in mind that Rubygems is conceived as eventually becoming
part of the Ruby core, in which case it would come with Ruby and the
manual installation would not have to happen.  That's been the
"Catch-22" in many discussions of gems: the things people find
cumbersome about it are things that would disappear (mostly, perhaps
entirely after some tweaking) if gems were in the core; but until it's
in the core, people will continue to find those things cumbersome.
Hopefully Matz will break us out of the cycle by 2.0 or even earlier.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net