On Sun, 06 May 2001 11:10, J J wrote:
> Is there an existing implementation of Javadoc like comments for
> Ruby code? Personally, I find all the =begin, =end, etc.
> distracting. Well commented code is virtually unreadable if the
> comments are placed where the code is written (where it should be),
> and is likely not to be maintained if it's tacked on the beginning
> or end of the source file in one big lump. Rubydoc would look like
> so:
>
> ##
> # A CheckButton class.
> #
> # @version $Id: CheckButton.rb 1.3 2001/05/04 16:06:27 john Exp
> john $ # @author JJ
> #
> class CheckButton < TkCheckButton
>   attr_reader :variable
>
>   ## Pass a block to be executed when the
>   #  button is clicked. Also calls onCheck
>   #  or onUncheck, as appropriate.
>   #
>   # @param aBlock A block of code to execute.
>   #
>   def onClick(&aBlock)
>

> where ## introduces a Rubydoc comment. As you can see,
> documentation relevant to a class or method is written where the
> class or method are declared. The ## notation is likewise very
> unobtrusive. Javadoc produces indexed HTML pages of the
> documentation extracted from the source code.
>
> In working on OOPierTk I found a need for a better documentation
> facility. Sidetracked again!
>
> Regards,
>   JJ
>
> --
> Be Kind, Be Careful, Be Yourself
> --
> Solid, reliable software at reasonable prices
> http://www.johnjohnsonsoftware.com

I'm working on it. I have done a basic proof of concept for myself
last week and it seemed to work pretty good for making a basic terse
look without any tagging yet. I have thought it would be better to use

#begin
# comment data
# more comment data
#
#end

I have thought that not using the '@' symbol would be better because
it is used in Ruby quite a bit. Any suggestions are welcome.

I will have a first cut off this available shortly is my hope -
school/work limits me sometimes.

Regards,
- --
Signed,