On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Graham Foster wrote:

> 03/07/2005 08:34:16
> Patrick Hurley <phurley / gmail.com> wrote in message
> <554ac39c05070219057ec18b2c / mail.gmail.com>
>
>> You might want to check out change notify from Win32 Util stuff at
>> ruby forge (http://rubyforge.org/projects/win32utils/).
> WOW - a complete treasure trove of useful functionality that I didn't
> know existed. The ChangeNotify seems to be deprecated and
> ChangeJournal its replacement. (I hope that tChangeJournal doesn't
> require you to watch an entire drive).
> These methods seem very much smaller and less complex than dirwatch,
> as they don't appear to use a database behind them. (I assume they
> trust the filesystem information and events?) Anyone any experience
> with either toolset?
> Thx
> Graham

dirwatch basically emulates (and adds) to this functionality, which is
built-in to the windows file systems.  the normal unix file systems does not
provide hooks to do this sort of thing - that's why i wrote dirwatch?  of
course a big difference is that dirwatch is durable across machine reboots.

cheers.

-a