I just came across GOTO's invitation page, and took up the search for
an animal mascot for Ruby.

I came across the Ruby-crowned Kinglet, which someone described so:

On the 27th of June, 1833, while some of my party and myself were
rambling
over the deserts of Labrador, the notes of a warbler came on my ear, and
listened with delight to the harmonious sounds that filled the air
around,
and which I judged to belong to a species not yet known to me.
The next instant I observed a small bird perched on the top of a fir
tree,
and on approaching it, recognised it as the vocalist that had so
suddenly
charmed my ear and raised my expectations.
<<
(http://employeeweb.myxa.com/rrb/Audubon/VolII/00225.html)

How appropriate! For this is what it was like for me to discover this
language.

Likewise, the following remark elsewhere:

 The outstanding characteristic of this little male monarch is its song.
There are other birds whose songs are just as sweet and varied,
but considering the size of the performer, none can match it for volume.
<<
(http://www.ednet.ns.ca/educ/museum/mnh/nature/nsbirds/bns0281.htm)

Some detailed photos on this page:
(http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/rckinglet.htm)

Comments? I hope it isn't too late for this...

Guy N. Hurst