* Ryan Leavengood <mrcode / netrox.net> [2005-06-29 05:49:45 +0900]:

> I like yield as a keyword, and I think the only reason to use &block is
> when you want to save the given block or do some other manipulation on it
> (ask for its arity, etc.) It is a lot of extra typing to use an &block
> parameter than just calling yield, especially if all you want to do is
> yield a value. Conceptually I think the idea of 'yield'ing control to a
> block is nice (though I suppose the idea of 'call'ing a block is just as
> nice.) But I still don't think yield should be tossed (not that matz ever
> would.)

The implicit passing of a block (that follows a method call) and
the 'yield' keyword is one of the key signatures of Ruby and one
that gives Ruby a great deal of power with very little typing.

If we had the principle of absolute explicitness for everything,
then it would be more difficult to write DSL's and we wouldn't
have nice apps like rails. In fact, we would probably even have
to add statement ending identifiers, like semicolons....run away run away...

--
Jim Freeze