The jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin provides a code completion feature
(http://www.jedit.org/ruby/). Currently it completes methods for the
core Ruby types, and synchronously shows you relevant RDocs in the
documentation viewer. It tries to infer the type of a variable, and if
it infers the type to be one or more of the Ruby core types, then it
shows a list of methods for those types.

  a = Array.new
  a.                  # pops up list of Array methods

  b.downcase
  b.                  # infers b is a String, so shows list of String methods

  c = YourClass.new
  c.                  # can't infer type, doesn't show anything
  c.up               # but you can use jEdit's Edit->Complete Word function
                       # (ctrl+b) to get a completion list based off words
                       # in the current buffer starting with the letters typed

I'm the plugin author. Feedback is welcome.

Rob