Florian Frank wrote:
> And look, I just made the Ruby version, faster, smaller and more object
> oriented:
> Now do the same in the other two languages...

Okay, here's the Perl version:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Math::Big 'primes';
my $max   = 50000;
my $start = time();
my $total = primes($max);
my $time  = time() - $start;
print "There are $total primes below $max.\n";
print "Time taken was $time\n";

On my system I get 27 vs. 192 for the original Perl version (which is
not written very perlishly). Sure, this is cheating. CPAN is like
institutionalized cheating, and I love it. :-) In fact, one of the
reasons I started lurking in the Ruby group is that I think Ruby (with
Gems) is closer to developing a CPAN-like system than Python, and thus
I have decided to learn Ruby instead of Python.

- Mark.