Jason Foreman wrote:

>Even though it turns out there is no performance benefit to 1 == x
>over x == 1, I find it desirable to write the former anyway.  If you
>accidentally write x = 1 instead of x == 1, it can take a long time to
>figure out your bug.  But if you write 1 = x instead of 1 == x, you
>get a syntax error, and can immediately correct the mistake.
>
>Jason

Although I can see a that writing 1 == x makes to catch 1 = x errors
makes a lot of sense it just doesn't read correctly to me. After all it
is the variable (reference) x that we are talking about, I would expect
to see it to be more prominently in the sentence, so to speak.

Just as I would prefer to read 1 <= x and x <= 100 over 1 <= x and 100 >
x. But then again I would prefer the icon idiom of 1 <= x <= 100.

I wonder if this relates to the grammar of your natural language (with
the subject, object, verb ordering).