On Thu, 3 May 2001, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Andy and I got an interesting couple of e-mails saying that Apple
> needs a scripting language for OS/X, and that Ruby might fit the bill
> nicely.
>
> Given that I don't have a MacI'm really in no position to say, but
> this seems interesting.
>
> Does anyone with some OS/X background have any insights here?

I don't know that Apple "needs a scripting" language for OS X - any of the
standard scripting languages will work as well as they do on any other
unix, and AppleScript is well supported in the Cocoa and Carbon APIs for
apps that need scriptability.

However, OS X has the huge advantage, as a platform on which to use Ruby,
that the (extensive and powerful) core APIs are written in a highly
dynamic object-oriented language: Objective-C.  A single, simple bridge
library between Ruby and Obj-C would make Ruby a first-class language on
OS X, which would be a *very* nice combination.  And from what I know of
the Obj-C runtime, this would be a fairly trivial project - especially
compared to, say, the Java equivalent.

I know someone was working on this (the Ruby-Bridge project on the
RAA) but I've never seen any source code for it, only screenshots.

Now, what would be *really* cool would be to rewrite parts of Ruby in
CoreFoundation, and merge the Ruby and Obj-C runtimes, for
"toll-free bridging" like Apple has between their C and Obj-C libs... but
that's a little more ambitious.

Avi