On 6/15/05, Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen / gmail.com> wrote:
> Jamis Buck <jamis / 37signals.com> writes:
>
> >> This is very odd.  All the JPEGs open fine in an image editor, but
> >> they don't work with PDF::Writer...
> >>
> >> Jamis, did you compile your own version of Ruby or patch the version
> >> that Apple distributes (I believe I used the Ruby on Rails installer
> >> for Tiger package) ?  I think compiling Ruby might be my next step.
> >> I've had this problem on two separate machines running 10.4.1.
> >>

> > Jason, yes, I did compile Ruby (well, used darwinports). I never even
> > bothered using the one that came with Tiger, after hearing lots of
> > people berate its brokenness.
>
> Wasn't the default Ruby broken wrt byte-order when packing?
> That could be a fair reason.
>
> > - Jamis
> --
> Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen / gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

This seems to be right on.  After compiling a new Ruby to /usr/local,
everything is happy.  Now it is time to play...

Thanks for the help all, and thanks for this great library Austin!

FWIW:

legolas:~ jason$ time techbook
Using default document
'/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pdf-writer-1.0.1/lib/pdf/../../manual.pwd'.

real    4m27.959s
user    3m53.151s
sys     0m11.188s

Powerbook G4, 1.5 GHz, 768 MB.