On 6/15/05, Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > That's an interesting solution to the same thing that RubyGems solves.
> but without the 'require_gem' bit ;-)
>
> > Unfortunately, it's not a great situation for non-Unix platforms,
> why not?  my arrayfields module uses a similar approach and it install in
> windows fine so far as i know.  remember - the link would exit only in your
> development director - once you tar it up and the user installs it the
> mylib.rb and mylib-0.0.0.rb simply become a copy but each time the user
> installs a new verion the mylib.rb gets clobbered leaving the versioned one
> behind to be used.
>
> make sense?

[...]

> i have some boilerplate scripts/code generators that spew all this stuff out,
> including all the relative path bits, if you are interested.

Some. I'll see if I can make it work for future versions; part of the
problem is that I'm actively developing on Windows, so I can't do a
symlink; I have to do a copy. So I'll definitely need scripts to wrap
that up. It certainly is an intriguing solution that might offer some
suggestions for the future of RubyGems. Can you send those scripts on?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca