In my case a better question to ask is "what editor do you hack to use
Ruby?" :-)

I've been authoring the Ruby Editor Plugin for jEdit
(http://www.jedit.org/ruby/). Implemented features include: method
completion for Ruby core types, integrated Ruby documentation viewer,
auto indent and insert end, syntax error highlighting (courtesy of
JRuby), a file structure popup and structure browser window. jEdit
itself provides features like syntax highlighting, code folding and
recordable macros.

Devin, thanks for the feedback.

> the color highlighting is fine (not perfect - $ in
> a Regex, __END__ throw it off for example),

The syntax highlighting is done by jEdit itself, not the plugin. It
can be fine-tuned by changing the ruby.xml mode file. If you fix
something in the ruby.xml file, please pass it on.

> the integrated ri is nice, though it fails to mention a
> given classes superclass and mixins,

The RDoc viewer shows the class hierarchy like this:
  Class: REXML::Element < REXML::Parent < REXML::Child

I'll add the mixin information in a future release.

> There's also a rough autocomplete (shows you whatever's in rdoc,
> regardless of the owning class), though it rarely does any good.

At the moment the plugin provides method completion for just the Ruby
core types (based on methods listed in RDoc). The ability to import
new RDoc into the editor is in development. This will give you method
completion on the classes in the imported RDoc.

For me the autocompletion is a good learning tool, as the RDoc viewer
shows you the documentation for each method as you scroll through the
completion popup method list.

Devin, thanks, keep the feedback up!

Rob