On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> That's an interesting solution to the same thing that RubyGems solves.

but without the 'require_gem' bit ;-)

> Unfortunately, it's not a great situation for non-Unix platforms,

why not?  my arrayfields module uses a similar approach and it install in
windows fine so far as i know.  remember - the link would exit only in your
development director - once you tar it up and the user installs it the
mylib.rb and mylib-0.0.0.rb simply become a copy but each time the user
installs a new verion the mylib.rb gets clobbered leaving the versioned one
behind to be used.

make sense?

> and it's not an approach that appears to be supported by the stock setup.rb,
> which I've recently converted my applications and libraries to.

i've used it with setup.rb, basically you have

   lib/mylib.rb -> mylib-0.0.0.rb

   lib/mylib-0.0.0.rb

   lib/mylib-0.0.0/a.rb
   lib/mylib-0.0.0/b.rb

and

   mylib-0.0.0.rb

does a

   require 'mylib-0.0.0/a.rb'
   require 'mylib-0.0.0/b.rb'

   etc.

i have some boilerplate scripts/code generators that spew all this stuff out,
including all the relative path bits, if you are interested.

> I have made the changes. It will be out by early next week whether
> or not I have the SVG transformation code completed.

great!

-a