Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Phil Tomson <ptkwt / aracnet.com> wrote:
>
> IMO, this is completely inappropriate. If the Perlers are going to
> do things to reduce their stack frames, and the Pythonistas are
> going to muck around with recursion limits that help their code run
> at all ... why can't Rubyists reduce or eliminate the recursion
> entirely?

I think it depends on the purpose of the ackermann benchmark. If its
there to get a reading on how fast you perform a given algorithm
(ackermann) then eliminating the recursion would be entirely
appropriate. If its there to try to compare how well different
languages recurse, then its not really appropriate. Honestly, I think
its there to benchmark recursion performance by executing a known
complexity recursion algorithm. Although I would argue that Python and
Perl should be judged on both a "naive" and "optimized" ackermann
benchmarks.