On Sunday 12 June 2005 11:29 am, carlos tirado wrote:
> When I tried this, I found that the gem installer uses some other
> win98 incompatible commands. I believe it was:
> <ruby_home>/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb on
> def find_home, line 326
> return "#{ENV['HOMEDRIVE']}:#{ENV['HOMEPATH']}"
> and a couple of lines below
> File.expand_path("~")

We do try to make an attempt to "do what's right" on whatever platform we are
running on.  We only return the HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH string if both HOMEDRIVE
and HOMEPATH exist.

Here's the current find_home strategy:

* Use ENV['HOME'] if it exists.
* Use ENV['USERPROFILE'] if it exists.
* Use "#{ENV['HOMEDRIVE']}:#{ENV['HOMEPATH']}" if both exist.
* Try to expand ~
* If the expansion works, use that.
* If the expansion failed, catch the error and return "C:/"
  on windows and "/" on non-windows.

Any suggestions on improving this to work better for win98 would be
appreciated.