----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Tomson <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>; <ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 4:10 PM
Subject: [ruby-talk:14517] RAA

> I notice something about the RAA (Ruby Application Archive) that is a bit
> worrisome.  All of the applications there are just links to other sites,
> usually websites run by creators of the particular application or module,
> so that if you want to download the app you actually are getting it from
> some other website - usually connected with someone's personal homepage.
>
> Now don't get me wrong, its great to have the RAA and the links and the
> organization.  What is a bit worrisome is that websites have a tendancy to
> go down (especially personal ones) and pages (and even ISPs) have a
> tendency to disappear. Would it be better to move toward a central archive
with
> mirrors like CPAN is for Perl?  That way we could be sure that all of
> our Ruby applications and modules are available in a central place and
> that central place would be mirrored for safety sake.
>
> I just wanted to throw this out for discussion...

I agree, Phil... what is more, I would like to see the RAA (eventually)
revamped. (I'm looking toward the future when I say that.)

I'll make these two constraints first:
1. It needs to be easily searchable. If there is a form, the defaults should
be
chosen so that "most" of the time, they're what most people want.
2. It needs to be easily add/updated. I favor a web form updating a
database with a reasonably rich set of fields (with good defaults).

Now, I would also like to see *powerful* functionality. Exclude things over
year old. Show me only things updated in the last month. Show only things
with English docs. Let me search the synopses by keyword. And so on...

Hal