On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:07:25 +0900, Ruby Quiz wrote:

> You can use any interface you like, but my recommendation is to keep it
> as simple as possible.  ASCII art is fine.  Pieces are traditionally
> represented as follows:
>
> 	K = King
> 	Q = Queen
> 	B = Bishop
> 	N = Knight
> 	R = Rook
> 	P = Pawn

You may be interested in my graphical Chess Board that I wrote.  It works
for Ruby-Gtk.  It doesn't implement an engine, but it is particularly well
suited for implementing Chess Variants.  That is in fact what I intended
to do (write a program for variants of Shogi, Japanese Chess), but I
haven't found the time finish it. The board API however works very well
(even better that xboard if I may say so myself ;-).  Adapting it for
another toolkit shouldn't be very difficult, but requires C-code, so may
be it would be to much effort for this quiz.  I have some documentation,
but I haven't included it yet, so if anyone is interested I'll upload it.

You can find it at (http://gcboard.sourceforge.net)

KB