fam-ruby?

Has anyone had any luck using fam-ruby?  I installed it with gem
install fam, and none of the sample apps work.  They all fail on
"require 'fam'", and surely enough there is no fam.rb on my system.
The FAM-Ruby packages 1.3 and 1.4 do not have any file named fam.rb,
either.  A library named fam.so is created, but there don't seem to be
any bindings to it.

Should this library be directly usable from ruby somehow, sort of the
way python can use so files?    Either way, I'm not sure what I need
to do to get fam working.   Any help would be appreciated.