On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:10:27PM +0900, Stephen Kellett wrote:

> I think you may be right, but for the work I was doing, the process was
> very similar for both languages. Thats why I made the comment about
> doing something more complex. Not all extensions involve creating
> objects.

I have written complex extensions for both Ruby and Python in both C and
C++.  C is pretty straightforward to wrap for both languages.  They are
similar enough that the process can be somewhat automated (SWIG).

Complex C++ is another matter entirely.  Generally a translation layer
needs to be written to handle at least the C++/Ruby exception translation
or you'll end up with severe memory leaks or core dumps.  The process
is non-trivial for both Ruby and Python but it can be done.  SWIG can
help here but there is still alot of manual work that has to be done.

Rick

--
Rick Nooner
rick / nooner.net