Hello gabriele,

gr> "</script> ha scritto:
>> I took a look at
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=python&sort=fullcpu
>> and found the tests on ruby disapointing :(.
>> So what I'm asking for is a link to some ruby-specific optimisation tips.

gr> a simple thing: do the most normal thing instead of writing code in ruby
gr> that is innatural, i.e. instead of rewritine an heapsort by hand, use
gr> the builtin sort/sort!/sort_by routines. Instead of writing a random
gr> function by hand, use the builtin rand().

Sorry you don't understand this benchmark. It is there to do this
algorithms to compare the basic data operations.

The benchmark is not useable to compare compiled languages with
interpretered, but comparing python with ruby is a valid comparision.

And that ruby is so worse then python is a real problem. If you still
try to deny this, then you have a real mental problem.

If ruby is 9 times slower then python in for example function calling intensive
code that means that ruby will slow down your development time a lot
as it forces you to use optimized code or even C code much more often
then python.