On Tue, 1 May 2001 10:27:58 +0900, Bryan Zarnett <bryan_zarnett / yahoo.ca> wrote:
> When I was introduced to Ruby, I never said "I wonder
> if I can write a 20,000 line program." I though, "Can
> I write an Object Pool" in this language.  That night
> at a very odd hour of the morning I said I can and
> then next morning (being a Friday) I showed people my
> Ruby object pool and started talking about Ruby.

That's exactly right.  Capabilities are much more important
than size :-)

Of course, it requires management or a client who understands
that 20 lines to do task A is preferrable to 2000 lines to
do the same thing.  Unfortunately, not every client is so
enlightened.  In many places, "elegance" is a dirty word.

> (Thanxs Dave and Andy, I got a copy of your book at
> the Colorado Software Summit and was so happy to
> finally get it after talking about Ruby all week I
> read it front to cover and wrote the object pool that
> night.)

You're very welcome!  Glad we could inspire.  What will
you write next?

Best Regards,

/\ndy