<portions deleted>

Note: Anywhere "host" appears below substitute your
specific node information.

If I have a com file (TEST.COM) on my VAX/VMS system,
in the login directory, consisting of:

$ DIR 'P1'
$ EXIT

The command line "rsh host TEST.COM" works for both
DOS and UNIX. Outputing a directory listing for the
login directory.

The command line "rsh host TEST.COM *.LOG" works for
both DOS and UNIX. Outputing a directory listing of
*.LOG files for the login directory (some do exist
in this directory).

However, running Ruby program versions of the above
commands gives conflicting results.

Running the Ruby program:

begin
  output = %x{rsh #{host} @TEST.COM}
  output.gsub!("\r", "")
  puts output
rescue
  puts "Yikes"
end

Works on both DOS and UNIX outputing same results
as the command line versions.

Running the Ruby program:

begin
  output = %x{rsh #{host} @TEST.COM *.LOG}
  output.gsub!("\r", "")
  puts output
rescue
  puts "Yikes"
end

Works on UNIX outputing the same results as the
command line version.

Does NOT work on DOS, outputing a nil string.
Can anyone tell me why? Remember the command
line version of this works.

The only difference is the Ruby version on the
systems.

ruby 1.6.2 (2000-12-18) [i386-cygwin]
ruby 1.6.3 (2001-03-19) [alphaev6-osf4.0f]

Was this something that was udated in 1.6.3?
Or am I dealing with a Windows concern?