>From: John Kaurin <jkaurin / home.com>
>To: <support / slickedit.com>
>CC: Joe <joe / vpop.net>
>Subject: VSE and Emacs
>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:10:37 -0400
>

>I made a post at comp.lang.ruby on SlickEdit and a member asked
>the following question. I do not use emacs mode so maybe you can
>answer the question and reply to both of us. Or better make a post
>at http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/14005
>so the Ruby community can see it.
>
>>> I have been using Visual SlickEdit (VSE) with Ruby since I began
>>> programming in Ruby (actually for all my programming needs)
>>> It works quite well out of the box, with a little encouragement.
>
>> Question on slickedit:  One feature of emacs that I find invaluable
>> is the ability to hit the "TAB" key anywhere on any line and it
>> will properly indent that line if you have no syntax errors above
>> you.  If you do have a syntax error above you, it will incorrectly
>> indent that line, so you know to start looking above...  If slickedit
>> (or any other editor) has such a feature, I would love to know.
>
>> thanks,
>> -joe

The command that does this is called "gnu-ctab", but since you are not
using the Emacs emulation mode, the macro containing this command will not
yet be loaded.  You will need to load the macro file "gemacs.e" first.

You can do this by going to (Macro...Load Module...), selecting
"gemacs.e", and opening it.  This file should be located under the macros
directory under you vslick installation directory.

Now to bind the gnu-ctab command to a key, open a C file, and go to the
"Tools...Config...Key Bindings" dialog, and uncheck the option "Affect all
modes".  You can then bind the TAB key to any command that you would like,
and it will only affect C files.

Thank you for choosing Visual SlickEdit, if you have any other
questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Ryan Anderson
MicroEdge Support                      support / slickedit.com
1(919)303-8400 fax                   ftp://ftp.slickedit.com
1(919)303-7400 phone                http://www.slickedit.com