From: "-11,3-3562,3-3076" <ellard2 / is01.fas.harvard.edu>

> A while ago I posted a request for people to share their experiences
> with using Python or Ruby to implement a sizeable software project
> (i.e.  something that would take 10-20K lines of C and Tcl/Tk to
> write).  I only got three responses, which is not what I was hoping
> for...
>
> So, at the risk of being accused of trolling, let me rephrase the
> question-- is anyone using Python or Ruby for anything substantial and
> product-quality, or are these languages only good for writing quick
> little unsupported hacks?

see http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#middle ;)

If you could choose any language under the sun to implement some
particular project, what would you use?  Probably depends an awful
lot on the nature of the project itself, right?  Real-time game engine,
with high-performance 3D, physics, AI, etc?  Probably C++ for now.
Suite of tools supporting that engine, including 3D level editor?
Well, I don't know: is it an in-house level editor or will we be
distributing it to users as a "simple exe"?

But none of these questions has anything to do with 'line count'.
But I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at.  You seem
to have suggested there may be a threshold beyond which programs
having been written in Ruby (or Python), after having reached a
particular size, will collapse or implode or something.  What is it
that would cause that?  Is there something about the way programs are
(or can be) structured in these languages that makes you think this?
As opposed to C or C++?

Thanks,

Bill