Ben Giddings wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 17:02, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>
>>Any ideas on how to do it?
>

> No particular advice, but some general advice:
>
> "Teaching" works best when you're not actually "teaching", but enabling
> people to learn.  You're there to help, not to lecture.
>
> Learning works best when the people doing the learning have a goal, and a
> motivation, and that goal/motivation should *not* be "to learn Ruby" but
> instead something like "to interface to that kludgy
> library/backend/database we hate".  The goal of the exercise would be to
> do the interface, but the language in which it's done would be Ruby.
>
> So I'd say the best approach is to choose a problem that you and your group
> regularly deal with, and figure out a way to use Ruby to solve it.  Learn
> enough about the technologies and libraries needed so that you can answer
> questions about how to do things, but let them do most of the coding and
> "figuring", you'll just be the language expert when they have trouble
> translating a concept into Ruby code.
This is totally true.
I am looking for tutorials made up that way to get into ruby in a
smooth way. Solving a "big problem" by deviding it into smaller
problems that are easier to handle at once and by example learning
ruby syntax, ruby way of thinking and finally how to solve problems in
ruby in general.

don't get me wrong - why's and pine's tuts are great, but they do not
offer what I am looking for :-/