Christian Neukirchen ha scritto:

>>>How well does extconf.rb work on win32?
>>>

>>definitely fine.
>>But it would be great to have a builtin way to trick it so that
>>extensions can be built with a different compiler than the one used
>>for ruby (tipically  mingw extensions for mswin ruby)
>

> I think that's an issue pure Ruby code can't change... can it?

I don't know.
I am guessing there is some place where extconf.rb/mkmf.rb  check values
from rbconfig and generate the makefile stuff based on it,
the fake-mingw32 module seem to basically change this values.

I am thinking of some thing like
if ruby_built_with_mingw
  output gcc code
elsif ruby_built_with_msvc
  output cl code
end

and thinking of adding one additional check like
if suggested_from_cli_compiler then output code for suggested compiler

fake-ming32 is a C module, so it may confirm your impression.

OTOH, it may be a C module just because extconf/mkmf are already in
place, and faking must happen at a lower level.

Sorry for my inability to give real useful informations :/