Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:14453] Re: mascot"
    on 01/05/01, Tom Murray <yozhik / idealab.com> writes:

|I am torn beneath the two main mascot proposals; the kinglet is certainly
|more appropriate for contexts such as the book cover, the conference
|banner, etc. But I think having the anime character is a great for Ruby as
|well, and that should be kept as an alternative representation (i.e. not
|the "official" mascot, but a common theme in images of Ruby and
|Ruby-related software).

I like this attitude.

|After all, Ruby is probably the first language
|originating from Japan (or possibly even non-European or
|non-English-speaking countries), and it would be nice to preserve that
|distinction in its imagery. And just think how many cool variations of
|ruby-chan would surface...

Although Ruby may be the first widely-used language out of Japan, it's
not the first one from Japan (e.g. GHC, KL/I, April etc.)  Plus I know
a lot of interesting languages developed in Japan.  Unfortunately they
are not known widely, mostly because their documentations are only in
Japanese.

By the way, Lua is from non-European, non-English-speaking country
(Brazil).

							matz.