Hi,

  In mail "Net::HTTP.get, obsolete 'dest' parameter?"
  loris / gmail.com (A slow) (with) (poison) (elbows) wrote:

> I noticed in the ruby 1.8 source for net/http.rb that the 'dest'
> parameter to the 'get' method is supposed to be obsolete.
>
> It seems like a convenient feature (e.g. the get_print method seems to
> use 'dest'). So I am curious why this is so, anybody know?

Because it is not intuitive.
Such kind of argument is not common in Ruby.

> Also, if it is truly obsolete, what is the proposed alternative when one
> wants to get some large content chunk-by-chunk, instead of all-at-once?
> (I realize one of my options is: h.get(uri) {|data| dest.write(data)},
> but I wan't to be lazier). When something is obsoleted, it's nice to
> point to the new way to do things.

I recommend block style.  It is longer than `dest' argument
but is easy to read for others.

> Also, why isn't the 'post' method 'dest' argument similarly supposed
> to be obsolete (there is no comment to that effect, anyhow)? If it is
> still not obsolete, why the distinction between use of 'dest' in get
> vs. post? If it is, should the comment be updated to reflect that?

`dest' argument is also obsolete for HTTP#post.
I'm going to add documentation, thanks.

Best Regards,
Minero Aoki