Den Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:20:57 +0200, skrev Erik Veenstra:
> I know that some of you use RubyScript2Exe in combination with a GUI
> toolkit, like TK, FXRuby, WxRuby, RubyWebDialogs and others.
>
> Since I can't test all combinations of RubyScript2Exe, OS-versions,
> Ruby-versions and toolkits, I need your help to build a list of success
> stories, failures and tweaks.

I dabbeled with RubyScript2Exe and Tar2RubyScript on a weekend about a
month ago with the intent of wrapping a Ruby-SDL game and its files in a
single distributable executable for Windows.

It worked fairly well. But there was one small issue, which may have some
relevance towards to RubyScript2Exe/Tar2RubyScript.

The Ruby-SDL game was Magic Maze (http://magicmaze.rubyforge.org/) and
contained several data files, including a free font file (fraktmod.tff) I
found on the net. When the executable terminated, I could see log lines
where it failed to clean up properly. The font file and the directory
structure leading to it was still there, in the temporary application data
directories.

The problem is most likely that the Ruby process still holds the font file
during cleanup. (It is loaded by SDL through the Ruby-SDL extension.) As
far as I could tell, the cleanup is run as part of the Ruby process which
the main application also runs in. If so, other Ruby programs that rely on
releasing resources on process termination, could also run into similar
problems.

I didn't dig too deep into the problem at the time, since it worked well
enough for my needs at the time, so I may have missed something. Just
thought I'd mention it.

regards,

--
Kent Dahl