On Friday 03 June 2005 16:33, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> 1)  Why one additional language isn't a bad thing

"We don't need a Philips screwdriver, we already have a flathead".

More tools can be a better thing (until your toolbelt gets so heavy that it
pulls your pants down and starts showing butt-crack).

> 2)  Examples of existing Ruby usages in large scale applications

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RealWorldRuby

I think the NASA and NOAA stuff are some of the best sources for real
world, large-scale stuff.  I'm sure Ara will tell you more about what he's
doing.

You might also want to mention Rails, and some of the e-commerce sites (and
other stuff) it powers.  Perl, Python and PHP could all do something
similar... but as yet haven't.

> 3)  How Ruby can benefit this place

It can begin to replace Perl.  It can also make employees happier.  :)

> Off the top of my head:
>
> 1)  C extensions allow us to easily integrate with external existing
> software, but I don't know how Perl or Python does in that respect.

Both can do it, but from what I hear Ruby's C interface is cleaner and
easier to use.

> 2) Built-in support for unit testing.

Python and Perl have this too, nothing too special here.  Ruby's unit-test
framework may be better in some ways, I wouldn't know.

> 3)  Extendability / maintainability, but I can't think of anything
> objective to say here

Well comparing OO Perl to OO Ruby you'll have a huge win here in terms of
maintainability.  If people are already comfortable with Perl then it
might be a hard sell, but I think it's easier to convert someone who isn't
a Pearl zealot from Perl to Ruby than it is from Python to Ruby.

Aside from the ones you came up with, maybe Ruby's license is better for
your business?  I don't know.

Also, is there any Ruby library that you really like that doesn't have a
good Perl/Python equivalent?

Do you have any idea how Python got accepted, and when?  Surely the
programming languages in use at that time could do everything Python could
do, though perhaps not as easily.

Good luck!  It sounds like you'll need it.

Ben

P.S. Java is a "full programming language" but Python/Perl/Ruby are only
"Dynamic/Scripting" languages?