On 2005-06-03, gregarican <greg.kujawa / gmail.com> wrote:
> You should be able to access this text field's value by referring to
> @param. For example, here's a text input field that would appear in an
> HTML form:
>
><INPUT TYPE="TEXT" SIZE="5" MAXLENGTH="5"
> NAME="thisControl[thisNumber]">
>
> You could access the value of this text field using the following in
> your accompanying controller.rb file:
>
> retrievedValue = @params['thisControl']['thisNumber']
> render_text "The text field's value as entered is #{retrievedValue}..."
>
> You could validate the value using conditional statements of the common
> variety:
>
> render_text "The value is too large" if retrievedValue.to_i > 100
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes I was trying something like that:

 if @params['a']['b'] != nil and @params['a']['b'].to_i < 100
    # do something

but I have problems when the field is left empty (i.e. empty string). The
param is not null and it seems to pass even the second test since an empty
string is converted to 0. Any suggestion on how I could check if there is a
valid integer?

Many thanks for the help.

Matteo