Hi,

I asked this question a little bit ago, but wanted to bring it back up.

I work for <insert huge company that makes really big expensive things
here>.  We have "computing standards" that define what's allowable for
usage internally and externally.  Technology evaluation boards, etc.

Here's an evaluation of Ruby:

"XXXX already has Product Standards for Python and Perl as
Scripting/Dynamic languages. And for Java as a full programming
language.

Ruby offer nothing significant not found in these XXXXX Standard
languages, and an addition language just adds variation."

Boo, I say!  Boo!

We've got mountains of unmaintainable perl stuff here, and I haven't
really seen much in Python.  I'm in charge of developing some new
software and would like to use Ruby.  Actually, the software is
finished (very quickly) and I just need to get Ruby on the allowed
list.  :(

I don't need arguments about Perl vs Python vs Ruby.  I would like to
see a discussion of:

1)  Why one additional language isn't a bad thing
2)  Examples of existing Ruby usages in large scale applications
3)  How Ruby can benefit this place

Off the top of my head:

1)  C extensions allow us to easily integrate with external existing
software, but I don't know how Perl or Python does in that respect.

2) Built-in support for unit testing.

3)  Extendability / maintainability, but I can't think of anything
objective to say here

4)  DRb is very useful in developing distributed applications.  I'd
imagine Perl and Python have similar features, but don't know anything
about them.

5)  ???

Help me out here guys!