* Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> [2005-06-03 06:43:40 +0900]:

> Jim Freeze wrote:
> >* Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> [2005-06-03 04:43:52 +0900]:

> >I'm not sure I understand. If the method exists, what is the
> >need for rescue to be called?
>
> I was unclear: I was hypothesizing a different test, in which a certain
> proportion of the objects had the method and the rest did not. It might
> be interesting to determine what ratio is the break-even point...

Yes, but doesn't that ratio depend upon the time taken in each method?

I think the rule of thumb is:

  - If a missing method is a rare occurance, use rescue
  - If a missing method is common and expected, use #respond_to
  - If you don't know, then drop back ten yards and punt.

--
Jim Freeze
Theory and practice are the same, in theory. -- Ryan Davis