On 2.6.2005, at 21:03, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Ilmari Heikkinen wrote:
>> Here's something I've been hacking on for the past two months, an
>> OpenGL
>> scenegraph engine written mostly in Ruby with some critical sections
>> inlined in C. It's been a educational experience :)
>
> Very nice, keep it up!

Thanks, will do!

> Do you think this will ever be a replacement for the Tk 2D canvas? I'm
> thinking of things like layers, groups, event bindings, etc.
> Actually, I guess event bindings wouldn't make sense outside of a GUI
> context. Maybe librend could be integrated into Fox?

I'm not familiar with the Tk canvas, but after reading through the man
page it seems that most of the drawing functionality can be implemented
with the vector engine. Layers and groups are quite doable already in
some form, though not quite at Photoshop level, heh.
Do you have some specific thing in mind regarding the layers, what
should they do?

Event bindings are there, but use SDL events at the moment. I'll
abstract them to a generic event model today, then the window system
backend shouldn't matter. There are no mouse cursor hit detection
helpers yet, so one now either needs to keep tab of where everything is
and react based on that (royal pain, especially with rotating things)
or write a general picking system for the renderer. I'll try to get a
picking system going soon.

Fox integration should be doable by writing a backend for the renderer.
It needs to initialize GL, tell the renderer the window dimensions and
pass input events to it.

Cheers,
Ilmari