--- Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin / yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Then you're not paying attention. Sorry if that offends
> you,
> > > but you're just not paying attention.
> > From your history of posts, you definitely are not sorry
> that
> > you are offending.  Insulting people will not help convince
> > anybody that you are right.  You will get much further
> being
> > nice and attempting to see where they are coming from.
>
> Actually, I am sorry if he's offended.

I don't know if he was offended or not, but the statements
above do look offensive.  Some people might leave the group
with statements like that.  Someone I didn't know emailed me a
while back venting some frustration and said he left the group.
 I didn't agree with his particular viewpoint, but I did think
it was sad that he felt so attacked he had to leave.

> I *am* exasperated that this
> keeps coming up and that no one ever looks at this history of
> the
> topic before bringing it up again, or that certain people
> bring it up regardless.
>
> If you were offended by the stridence that I've used in
> opposing some
> of the proposals you've made, I am sorry. That doesn't mean I
> won't be
> strident about opposing things that I think are bad for Ruby,
> but that
> I don't mean to cause offence with that.

OK.  Just keep in mind that your opinions are just that -
opinions.  And everybody is entitled to theirs.

> > BTW, I happen to agree with you on this topic.  I like
> no/duck
> > typing in the language.  It provides much more flexibility
> and
> > power.
>
> I do want hinting -- or at least a documentation "standard"
> -- for the
> reasons mentioned in this thread (documentation, IDEs, etc.).
> But I
> don't want anything that can reasonably be considered
> remotely close
> to static typing.

And I agree with that too.  I especially want something in the
rdoc standard to say what a method returns.