Le Mon, 30 May 2005 23:06:23 +0900, Stefan Lang a ˝─rit

> On Monday 30 May 2005 14:24, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
>> Hello ruby community,
>>
>> I have a curious behavior, but I suspect it's because of my lack of
>> knowledge about ruby.
>>
>> I'm working on an Ubuntu machine, and I wanted the latest from ruby, so
>> I compiled it and make install'ed it. After some time using it with no
>> problem, I changed my mind because some ruby extensions are just easier
>> to install with apt-get. I've started to remove the ruby executable and
>> it's friends in /usr/local/bin, so that `which ruby` gives
>> me /usr/bin/ruby.
>>
>> The problem is, that I still have the hand-compiled version hanging
>> around my system and it causes some problems. For example if I run irb :
>> irb(main):001:0> puts $LOAD_PATH
>> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8
>> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
>> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby
>> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
>> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux
>> .
>> => nil
>>
>> Do you know how to remove the compiled ruby version, or make that the
>> debian package overrides the old configuration ?
> For me worked:
>     % rm /usr/local/bin/ruby
>     % rm /usr/local/bin/irb
>     % rm /usr/local/bin/ri
>     % rm /usr/local/bin/testrb
>     % rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby
>
> I wonder where the /usr/local/lib/site_ruby directory comes from.
> On my system this is /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby and I've done a
> normal ./configure; make; make install of Ruby 1.8.
> So perhaps you also want to
>     % rm -rf /usr/local/lib/site_ruby
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your help. It was kinda fuzzy in my head, but
because you fortified my sight of the problem, I get nearer to it. In the
fact /usr/local/lib/site_ruby is created by the rubygems install script,
so it's fine for me (I think).

The real problem is that I installed some gems like `og`, but irb can't
find the include path to use it :

irb(main):001:0> require 'og'
LoadError: No such file to load -- og
        from (irb):1:in `require'
        from (irb):1

irb(main):001:0> require_gem 'og'
NoMethodError: undefined method `require_gem' for main:Object
        from (irb):1

It looks like gem has some problems.
I had to compile it from souce (latest from rubyforge) because ubuntu
doesn't have the gem package. Here are the compile options, it looks all
right for me, but maybe I missed something :

ruby setup.rb show
prefix               /usr
bindir               $prefix/bin
libdir               $prefix/lib
datadir              $prefix/share
mandir               $prefix/share/man
sysconfdir           /etc
stdruby              $libdir/ruby/1.8
siteruby             $prefix/local/lib/site_ruby
siterubyver          $siteruby/1.8
siterubyverarch      $siterubyver/i386-linux
rbdir                $siterubyver
sodir                $siterubyverarch
rubypath             /usr/bin/ruby1.8
rubyprog             /usr/bin/ruby1.8
makeprog             make
shebang              ruby
without-ext          no

I did `sudo ruby setup.rb all` to install it.

I guess I'm not really good at describing the problems.. The subject would
more be like : rubygems not working with ubuntu's ruby package.

Thanks again and have a nice day,
  zimba