On Monday 30 May 2005 14:24, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:
> Hello ruby community,
>
> I have a curious behavior, but I suspect it's because of my lack of
> knowledge about ruby.
>
> I'm working on an Ubuntu machine, and I wanted the latest from ruby, so
> I compiled it and make install'ed it. After some time using it with no
> problem, I changed my mind because some ruby extensions are just easier
> to install with apt-get. I've started to remove the ruby executable and
> it's friends in /usr/local/bin, so that `which ruby` gives
> me /usr/bin/ruby.
>
> The problem is, that I still have the hand-compiled version hanging
> around my system and it causes some problems. For example if I run irb :
> irb(main):001:0> puts $LOAD_PATH
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux
> .
> => nil
>
> Do you know how to remove the compiled ruby version, or make that the
> debian package overrides the old configuration ?
For me worked:
    % rm /usr/local/bin/ruby
    % rm /usr/local/bin/irb
    % rm /usr/local/bin/ri
    % rm /usr/local/bin/testrb
    % rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby

I wonder where the /usr/local/lib/site_ruby directory comes from.
On my system this is /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby and I've done a
normal ./configure; make; make install of Ruby 1.8.
So perhaps you also want to
    % rm -rf /usr/local/lib/site_ruby

Stefan