* gsinclair / gmail.com <gsinclair / gmail.com> [2005-05-26 21:35:19 +0900]:

> "It's 5.abs for absolute value, but Math.sqrt(5) for square root."
>
> Good point.  That bugs me too.  abs is a *function*, not logically a
> method.

My take is that there are a few methods that apply to floats
and ints and bignums. These (like floor, ceil, abs) are commonly
known, accepted and used functions and it makes sense to make
them methods.

However, my f(x) is likely to be different than your f(x). In
fact, there are an infinite number f(x)'s in the world and
an infinite number of function names. If Ruby included them
into numeric, then I would feel like I was in Java swing. :)

Also, since 9/4 = 2, I'm not so sure that 5.sqrt wouldn't
be 2 or 0, depending upon how you slice it.

> A few other good points, too.  Shame about the presentation.

Nothing that hasn't been said before, but in a much more acceptable
way that promotes good discussion and real action.

Nothing new here people...  move along, move along.

--
Jim Freeze
Ruby: I can explain it to ya but I can't understand it fer ya.