On Thursday 26 May 2005 04:46, ES wrote:
> This has perhaps been aired here already, if so, apologies.
>
> Someone did not like Ruby; I find it refreshing to read
> these takes as well since the actually bring up some
> (fairly) valid points, this one moreso than usual.
>
> http://www.ericw.org/rants/showrant.psp?rant=ruby

Despite the fucking swearing, he did come up with a list of almost everything
that has confused or annoyed me since I started using ruby.

What he neglected to mention is that Ruby is without doubt the closest attempt
yet at a perfect scripting language. Sure, it has some wrinkles, but I have
high hopes of those being sorted in the next iteration, whether by Matz or by
somebody else standing on his (and other giants) shoulders.

Despite the colourful language, an insightful critique and worth a quick
browse.

Andrew Walrond

PS The lack of documentation regarding method thrown exceptions is perhaps my
favourite criticism. Not at all core, but frustrating as hell when writing
OO /exception driven programs.