On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |* Tcl-Eventloop:
> |   the greatest thing of Tcl is for sure the Eventloop which
> |   combines File/Pipe/Socket readable/writeable-events AND Tk-GUI
> |   AND 'decoupled callbacks' via [after <time> command]
> |   I could not find such a thing in Ruby (where to look?)
> Ruby chooses thread model.  So
>   Thread.start{
>     sleep <time>
>     <command>
>   }
> would do without 'event loops'.

Whatever "Ruby" (or you) chooses, I choose the non-thread model, because
then I don't have to worry about locking; and because of that, I don't
have to worry about deadlocks, livelocks, and locking latencies. Instead I
worry about granularity of event operations, which I believe to be more
manageable on average.

Well, in case anyone cares, I have written an event loop, and I could
publish it if someone asks for it.

matju