On May 23, 2005, at 16:52, Sam Roberts wrote:

> Quoting gfb / tonesoft.com, on Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:17:01AM +0900:
>> Hi, rubyists
>>
>> I use SWIG to wrap C++ classes into Ruby. Is there any way to use RDoc
>> comments in the original C++ classes to generate documentation for
>> ruby
>> API? From what I can see, RDoc looks for rb_define_class() and
>> rb_define_method() to extract classes and methods to be documented,
>> however those are generated by SWIG in the build phase.
>
> I would be surprised if this works, but you might get lucky.
>
> If you don't get lucky, a DDJ article of a few months back described a
> way of using doxygen with visual basic, that might apply to documenting
> c++ with rdoc. Basically, run a script converting the C++ to something
> that looks like ruby. It doesn't have to be ruby, you can remove all
> the
> code inside methods, for example, but enough like ruby that rdoc will
> process the file and generate API docs.
>
> Sam

Interesting. However, it sounds like a lot of hassle. I took another
approach, though. I need some pure Ruby methods in my wrapped classes
anyways, so even for the methods implemented in C++, I add a pure Ruby
method (honoring ruby name conventions, otherwise achieved by SWIG
%rename directive), from where I simply delegate to my corresponding
C++ methods, witch I make private. This gives me the opportunity to
document the methods naturally, for the cost of extra redirection.

Thanks, Sam.
Gennady.