I might be forking this thread, but I'm having the same problem.  I'm
using mySQL 4.1.10 compiled from source via Fink.  Don't get me wrong,
if there isn't  a fix for this I will definately try the install that
was illustrated earlier using the ServerLogistics install.

I've been hacking at this for about 2 hours, and it just seems too
close to abandon completely.  I found the following in the
documentation for mysql-ruby:
" If you get error like 'libmysqlclient not found' when testing, you
need to specify the directory in which the library is located so that
make can find it.
'% env LD_RUN_PATH=libmysqlclient.so directory make'"

I used 'mdfind' to find the libmysqlclient at:
'/sw/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.14.0.0.dylib'

However, I don't know how to get extconf.rb find it.  I'd appreciate
any help with this.  I've been working on this so long, I can't see the
forest for the trees, right now.  I may not even be grokking the 'env'
command right now...

Thanks!

> Pat Allan wrote:
<snip>

I've been trying to compile mysql-ruby on MacOS X 10.4 Tiger, but
having no luck.

When I run ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql:
# ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql
           checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

</snip>